daw.com - September 5

I am in my hotel room in Hong Kong as I write this entry and I only hope everyone else is enjoying the holiday too.  We have quite a week ahead of us with some major events coming along.

MAP testing is a twice a year and the results are continuously published so that growth can be tracked.  This week students will write three MAP tests - Math, Language Usage and Reading.  As long as the students do their best, it should show growth from the last time the test was taken.  I will be reviewing both how to write a test and how to best experience a test with the students this week.  Please make sure that your student is properly rested and fed when they arrive each morning.

This week is also the start of the Student Council elections.  Two students are elected from the class but only one serves.  The other is standby in case it is not possible for the elected candidate to complete their term.  I am looking for students who either demonstrate a leadership capacity or are willing to learn how to lead.  The forms for STUCO will arrive home on Monday.  On this form is all the information about how to become a STUCO representative for our class.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Coming home on Monday is the Math Unit 1 assessment.  Please have a look over it and let me know if you have any questions.
  
There seems to still be some confusion about the Monday folders.  I use this system to return all work to parents as one way to maintain transparency in the classroom.  Each week the work is to be take out, counted and then the Monday Folder form signed.  Please return the folder and the signed sheets.  The work can be kept as it represents how your student is doing in mu class.  I ask for the folders returned the next day please.

The September reading log went home last week.  Please make sure that your student reads every night and fills out the form when they do so.  I do not assign a length of time to read as I just expect that reading is done for both learning and pleasure.

As always, if there are any concerns or questions please let me know.