daw.com - May 9

Dear Parents,

Each week there are students in charge of a current event. I have sent home a reminder with these students but I will also list them here.

Monday - Max
Tuesday - day 2, no current events
Wednesday - Faven
Thursday - StephenFriday - Claire

Here are some student friendly sites for Current Events.
Good News Daily
Science News for Kids
Time for Kids

There is a huge change in the homework for next three weeks. This is because it is time for our annual Variables Olympics. This project is entirely done at home. Except for the Math Study Links, all other homework will be based on the Variables Olympics. This is a good chance for students to see what doing a project at home is like since there will more like this in middle school. Here are the details;
  1. All information is located on our webpage here - I would suggest this site be bookmarked.
  2. Homework is on student's Google Site Variables Olympics web page. They are all blog entries.
  3. Homework assignments are in their Google Docs and are complete with due dates.
  4. If possible students should keep track of their progress with pics to be uploaded to their blogs.
As this is at the end of the year, I must insist that due dates be watched very closely. It is now very difficult for me to extend dates as I have time constraints for reporting students progress. Please stay in touch with me if there are time problems.

We will complete our math unit this week with the final assessment later in the week. Students will also have an open response to complete. Our next unit will start next week and take us to the end of the school year.

Since our Hong Kong Walkabout was postponed last Friday, we will postpone the assignments until we have completed this day. At the moment I am not sure what the plans are but I am hoping to have it rescheduled for later this coming week. I will stay in contact with you throughout the week as we make decisions. The students were quite disappointed about the cancellation on Friday.
We have a new math challenge that the students are working on. This time they have to use the five numbers 3, 7, 9, 14 & 17 to equal all numbers from 1 to 100. They cannot use the exponent 0 this time nor can they combine numbers (ie. 3 & 7 to make 37) but all the other rules are the same. Although I have not taught anything about factorials (!) they are using them in this challenge and I am glad to see it.

I want to thank Zehra, Nikhita and Christoffer in their roles as class executive. We have elected a new executive which will start on Monday. The new students are Tara, Maxwell and Christina. Congratulations to them.
If any of you know that you might miss some days at the end of the school year please let me know so I can make sure all is ready for your departure and your students move to middle school. Just send me an email.

During the summer months the school will moving its computer system over to a Mac system in preparation for the 1 to 1 laptop program in the fall. It would be a good idea for students to transfer any work they have in their :H and :O drives to a computer at home. This is accomplished easily with a thumb drive or USB drive. They can start this anytime now. The :O drive is erased every summer in preparation for the new school year. Middle school students will not have access to the drive that is here in the UPS so the move is essential unless there is nothing there they want to keep. All their blogs and Google Docs will not be affected since they are on-line.

All our pictures this week involve water. Some are from our buoyancy experiments and others are from our capacity through displacement lesson in math.

As we head to the end of the year I know some of you might want to meet with me. Please let me know and I will gladly arrange a time we can meet. In the mean time, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Harold Daw